Wednesday 3 September 2014

On Reducing my Suckage Footprint

Recently my best friend and I were talking about Winnipeg. A city one either loves or hates with no in between. I fall firmly in the latter category. It’s tacky, it’s falling apart, the drivers are the worst in the world and in my opinion, it sucks. My friend is also not a fan; however, she had some pretty interesting, alternative insights. 

Heading into downtown Wpg.
Technically, a city by itself can’t suck. It can be big or small, have a high or low population but a collection of buildings, sidewalks, trees, fences, can’t actually suck. If someone says a city sucks, the reality is it is the people within it who suck. And, since both my friend and I live in Winnipeg we are, in part, responsible for the suckage. Therefore, we must take some of the blame for the lameness of our city and, perhaps, try to do something to reverse the impact of our suckage.

The thing I hate the most about Winnipeg? The drivers. Solution? Take the bus. It reduces my anger, makes me friendlier toward my fellow Winnipegger and in turn, reduces the amount that I suck.

People often complain there’s nothing to do here. Solution? Take a class, join a choir, find a trivia night, try a new restaurant, there’s always something to do. And my friend and I decided that we would find community-based things to become involved with, thus lessening the amount we suck. (I've already accomplished this by accepting a role in a community theatre production. Yay! I don't suck as much!)

Think Winnipeg is ugly or tacky? Look at things anew by starting a photo blog. My friend did this and is finding the most beautiful images amongst the seemingly sucky mundane. 

So there are options. And perhaps, together we can all reduce our suckage footprint.

You never know what you'll find if you just explore

No comments:

Post a Comment