Tuesday 17 June 2014

I'm Awesome Cuz [he/she] Followed Me on Twitter

The problem is, we look for affirmation on social media.

Today, a person’s life is made if a celebrity - A to D to reality star level - follows them on Instagram. I see people begging for this or that person to “follow” or “like” them. They need that recognition. They’re desperate for it. It is what gives them…purpose? Really??
My stepson is 7 years old. Too young for social media (even though I do know 7 year olds who have Facebook accounts). And I know it’s coming. Right now he gets his affirmation from his parents!!, his friends, his relatives, his teachers, where it should be coming from. Not from a nameless, inanimate, thing. My husband and I are not on Facebook, so I’m hoping that will deter my stepson from it for a bit longer (fingers and toes crossed). However, we are on Twitter and Instagram, and I admit that I do love/hate that adrenaline rush I get when someone mildly famous “favourites” something I write about/to them. But why does it matter so much?? 
A favourite star from Lea DeLaria.
Who cares? She doesn't.
I should get that lift when my husband kisses me goodnight, when my mom throws her arms open for a hug, when my dad teases me, when my sister holds her cat up to the webcam during a Skype talk.
What has happened to me? To this society? Why is a favourite star more important than a kind word from a best friend??

The problem is, we look for affirmation on social media. And maybe the even bigger problem is, that’s where we now expect it to come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment