Wednesday 28 May 2014

So they Killed Bill C-33. Now what????


I follow the Treaty Commissioner of Manitoba on Twitter. His name is Jamie Wilson and I greatly repsect his ideas and opinions. Look him up and read his writings!
Today I saw this tweet from him: “Where do we go from here? First Nations schools are still underfunded, and still governed by no laws.” And all I could do was agree, and turn to my blog to try to sort out my thoughts. 

MB First Nations Science Fair
Here’s things as I see them, Ottawa has been trying to push through Bill C-33, the First Nations Control of First Nations Education Act. With the recent resignation of National Chief Shawn Atleo (who supported the Bill), the Assembly of First Nations held a meeting yesterday and voted to reject the Bill. As far as I understand, they say that it is a patriarchal, top-down, colonial tool that seeks to only further oppress First Nations, forcing them to agree that the “white father knows best” in order to get any increased education funding. I haven’t read enough of the Bill in detail to either agree or disagree with this, but if Canada/First Nations history is any indication, some of this opinion has merit.
Yet, I do sometimes think that this is the automatic, go-to response from First Nations Chiefs. 

It is true that First Nations schools are drastically underfunded compared with the rest of Canada, and this in itself is a tragic colonial legacy. I work with First Nations schools in Manitoba, and I have to note that even though underfunded, many of them are doing an amazing job with what they have. I've met inspiring teachers and successful students. I get angry that it's so difficult for these schools to get the resources they need. I feel like these teachers and students are the people who should have been at the AFN meeting yesterday. And they are the ones who Ottawa should be listening to.
Teacher, Liz Gray does amazing work
at Sagkeeng High School
But I digress...here’s what I can’t wrap my head around: no matter what you think about Canada/First Nations relations, the current system and level of funding is NOT working and hasn’t been for a very, very long time. All you have to do is look at the drop out rates and high school graduation stats to know this. Something needs to be done. From what I understand, the Chiefs are saying that if they just had more money, if the government would just leave them alone, things would get fixed. (I would so love for this to be true, so if that has ever been accomplished and worked on any reserve somewhere PLEASE LET ME KNOW!) 

Regardless of all that, after all the bickering and grand-standing, now that the Bill is dead you know what’s going to happen? NOTHING! Canada will either eventually push through some kind of Bill anyway, or do jack all. I suspect it will be the latter. First Nations schools will remain underfunded, students will continue to drop out, people will continue to argue and bicker and say “this” or “that” is what is needed, but nothing will ever change!! And that is the worst thing of all. I’m not saying that the Bill was the answer, but it was something. Canada is never going to hand over billions to First Nations for education and then just walk away. And, as far as I can tell, First Nations are never going to be content with what Canada offers. So things will remain the same, and THAT is the most tragic thing of all. And it makes me angry and it makes me feel hopeless so I have to write about it. Ekosi.

No comments:

Post a Comment